Tuesday, November 25, 2008

give thanks

as i near the fabulous holiday of thanksgiving, it makes me think about everything that has happened. it makes me remember... as a good friend of mine said today, "your ability to be thankful is directly linked to your ability to remember." I love that. how can we give thanks for anything without first remembering what has happened? What has gotten me to where I am? What has made me who i am today? there are the obvious things (i think most of us can say things like family, food, and homes) to be thankful for, but God has given us so much more. so what are we truly thankful for? for me... i'm thankful for my husbands' never-ending patience with me; i'm thankful that God knows what he's doing and that I don't--I learn more everyday to depend on Him; i'm thankful for freedom--freedom to believe in and live out the Truth.

I could on and on. I must say, though, that I AM thankful for my family... as cliche as it is. if you know my family, then you should agree! I have the best one. we love to laugh together, and sing together (we really should take it on the road!), and do life together. And I have 4 of the best nephews ever!

So what are you thankful for? In what ways has God blessed you? It could be something that was hard to go thru... it could be an exciting moment... it could be a particular person...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally agree about the family thing! In an earlier thankful blog of mine I talked about how I almost feel like I am bragging when I talk about my family because it Rocks so much! Church was awesome tonight and I flippin LOVE hearing you sing more and more lately! You make me more passionate just by seeing and feeling how passionate you are when you sing. Love ya!

Laur said...

Mmm...amen to that! I am very thankful for my family as well...and I echo Sarah in that I sometimes feel like I'm bragging...;-) And I love love LOVE listening to you sing...you rock, Heeeether. :-P

Anonymous said...

great post heather! I agree that there is a lot to be thankful for. I know MY posts have NOT been happy ones lately and even still I know what a great family I have, and what great friends I have. My stuff could be way worse and I am thankful for everything I DO have :)

Heather said...

Hey Jeni! It's okay to to have unhappy posts and to feel the way that you do about things right now... "being positive" isn't about pretending everything's okay, or making light of your current situation... being positive is simply being positive that God will continue to take care of you and provide what you need. :) allow yourself to go thru the span of natural emotions... just keep looking up and holding on to those around you. love you!