Thursday, February 5, 2009

...do this in remembrance of me...

The Lord's Supper... Communion... wafers. juice. bread. wine... priests.... pastors... waiting in line... passing the dish...

This sacred event of bread of wine has taken on many faces, hasn't it? It's an event that has lived on thru the years, but does it still hold meaning?

At the church I grew up in, we took communion once a month, the 1st sunday of every month, I believe. At the church I go to now, we take communion maybe every few months, at special services. A lot of churches take it every week. Wherever you may fall on the spectrum, most of us have come to know when it may happen and it usually becomes a routine. But, are we really remembering? Do we really think about the blood and the body, the love and sacrifice, when we take the bread and the wine?

That's the thing with rituals... usually you just do them! I don't know very much about the Catholic Church. I've actually only been to one Mass, and the entire thing was in Spanish! However, you still catch on to various routines/rituals that take place. There's the kneeling, the echoing, the "peace" thing, communion. And you can also go and confess to your priest and be made "ok" again. I must admit that I felt very lost and out of place. For a lot people, these things hold very little meaning.... but if you really think about what those rituals are, I can see the beauty in why they were maybe started in the first place. think about it... Confession. How often do we really confess to someone? To actually speak your sins to someone, can be so humbling! And kneeling before God in prayer is a beautiful sight. All of these rituals probably had the greatest of intentions... but what are they now? Routines.

Back in the day of Jesus, bread and wine at dinner was not uncommon. It was part of their everyday life. When he had that moment with his disciples and told them that it was his body and blood, a new covenant, something to be remembered... I'm not so sure that his intention was for us to mimick that exactly, once a week/month/etc as an act of "obedience". I'm starting to think that Jesus was taking something common to his friends, and making it significant... like he was really saying, "even in the everyday events, in the common of your life... remember me."

Something to think about...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your perspective on things. It is easy to fall into the trap of rituals and forget the meaning behind things. Thanks for the reminder to really look :)

Z-girl said...

You are so wise...thanks for posting these thoughts. I think your perception is right, Jesus wanted us to remember him in the every day, and celebrate what he did for us with friends and family around. I have always loved taking communion in small group, with a close bunch of friends who are journeying together. Takes on deeper meaning. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

i totally agree. I've actually stopped taking communion in some churches because they say in their literature you must believe this is the real blood and real body of christ. And I don't really think that was jesus' point at all. He was saying, "dudes, friends, when you do this common thing (which was like daily for them), remember me and what I'm going to do." I've often thought we should make it milk and pizza or something.

Anonymous said...

*shudder* milk and pizza?? How awful!! :-P