Saturday, March 17, 2007

I Love...


Do you ever wonder why you love what you love? I mean... there's usually a much deeper reason than we even let ourselves figure out... a selfish reason, usually, too.
For instance, I love to travel. I would do it for a living. I love entering a new world and discovering things I never knew and meeting new people, new cultures, new foods, new traditions... I find it fascinating! It totally captures my soul. And yet I was wondering tonight if there's another reason that I love going to new places. I think it comes down to one word: new. Such a small word that can mean SO much. That word captures it all. When I'm in a new place, I can be a new me. no one knows me previously to know any different. They don't know my past. They don't know my weaknesses. They don't know that I tend to speak before thinking, or that I tend to overthink (it's one extreme or the other, isn't it?). They don't know that I eat out of boredom or for comfort or for sheer enjoyment of just tasting something delicious. It's not that I want to create a different me... I think I just want a chance to recreate how I present myself--how I'm perceived. Is this wrong? I think we all long for second chances. Sometime I wish I could go back to being 18 and change my post-highschool life--everything except for Moises, of course. I wish I had stayed in shape. I wish I had finished school. I wish... well, a lot of things. Not that I'm not happy with my life now. I have a fabulous husband whom I love and adore, who also loves me more than I probably think. I have awesome nephews. I LOVE my family! I have the best one in the whole world. I love my circle of friends... they're an unexpected blessing in my life. I have a God that believes in me and has given me a potential that I don't think I'll ever understand. That's just what He does for His children. I'm trying to figure it out though. I have a stable job. I have so much... and usually I (and most of you do too) don't think to give thanks or appreciate the regular or stable things in life. So maybe, just maybe, I don't need a new beginning. Maybe I just need to keep reminding myself that I am learning and growing, and that I do actually have an interesting story to tell, and it doesn't have to be to new people in a new place. I LOVE traveling--but oh how I LOVE home.

No comments: